What we love
The Oppenheimer family take conservation delightfully seriously and protect every inch and every animal in this enormous expanse.
Setting the scene
Situated amid the Korranaberg Mountains, Tsawlu is South Africa's largest private game reserve overlooking beautiful wilderness. Offering the very best sightings of some of South Africa's rarest and most extraordinary wildlife, including desert black rhino, black maned Kalahar Lion and Cheetah - easily viewed in the open savannahs.
Because of its unique landscape, wildlife and safari experience, Tswalu works perfectly with any South African itinerary and provides the ideal partnership with both the Lowveld game farms and Cape Town, with its sight-seeing and glamorous night life.
Tswalu accommodates a maximum of 28 adults in two beautiful locations,The Motse and Tarkuni. Guests also have the option to sleep out at The Malori, where you can spend the night under the stars of the Kalahari night sky on your very own sleep out deck.
- The Motse accommodates up to 18 adults in nine individual legae (suites) made from desert sand, rock and thatch
- Each legae has an en-suite bathroom with walk-in shower, outside shower with views of the surrounding bush and wildlife, an open fireplace, separate dressing and study area, telephone, safe, wireless internet, and private sun deck with stunning views of the Kalahari
- Three of the nine legae have been designed especially for families and comprise two separate bedrooms with en-suite bathrooms, and a spacious, shared living area
- The main lodge at The Motse has elevated decks, a spacious lounge and dining area, a library, a fully- equipped gym and adjacent spa, an impressive wine cellar and traditional Boma.
- There is also a large, outdoor pool, and a smaller solar heated pool with views of a waterhole and the game it attracts
- Set amid two rolling mountain ranges, Tarkuni was originally built as the Oppenheimer's private villa · It was recently redesigned to uncompromising standards of comfort and elegance
- Ideal for smaller groups, from family parties to close friends, the homestead accommodates a maximum of 10 guests in five luxurious bedrooms, each with en-suite bathroom and outdoor star bed
- The homestead has a vast open-plan lounge and dining room, and a cosy library and games room
- A covered deck leads to a private tsala and swimming pool
- Tarkuni comes complete with a private vehicle, dedicated guide and tracker
- A personal chef creates the luxury of completely flexible dining
Tswalu's Executive Chef Alewyn Malan is dedicated to creating exceptional and unique dining experiences for guests with a variety of exciting menus to enjoy at different venues on the reserve. As an experienced fine-dining specialist, Alewyn uses global food influences and the best available seasonal ingredients, locally sourced wherever possible, to create his constantly changing and evolving menus. The Green Kalahari area provides food you will never see anywhere else in the world, including some of the most exceptional venison available and the seasonal Kalahari truffle.
Activities at Tswalu are planned around your individual needs, on arrival your personal consultation allows you to choose from a wide range of activities;
- Game drives in open-sided canopied safari vehicles
- Bush walks -the chance to get closer to the land
- Encounters with meerkat colonies
- Horseback safaris for all ages are led by experienced guides, and accompanied by grooms.
- Star-gazing under the Kalahari's “diamond skies” · Exploring extraordinary archaeological sites in the Korannaberg hills
- Tswalu Kalahari Spa is a combination of sensual spaces and treatments which combine to create what must be one of the most unusual spa experiences in Africa. Surrounded by endless blue skies and the unique vegetation of the Green Kalahari
Tswalu is an extraordinary place for children, located in a Malaria free area its the perfect lace for your little ones. Unlike most reserves, Tswalu happily includes younger children on game drives.
- There are child-friendly swimming pools at both camps
- Children under 12 stay absolutely free with their parents in a suite at The Motse (maximum two)
- Three specially designed family suites easily accommodate larger families with younger children
- There is a children's menu, and any individual meal preferences are catered for
- Flexible dining times and venues for families
- Complimentary babysitting to allow parents to enjoy more formal or private evenings
- On arrival children receive a backpack which includes Tswalu's Junior Ranger training guide
An exciting program of special activities for children includes:
- Archery and making bows and arrows
- Spoor identification and casting
- Children's bush walks o Tracking wildlife on foot and with technology
- Picnics, special children's boma meals,
- Guided horse trails
Tswalu is located in the southern Kalahari and is accessible by both air and road. Tswalu operates a daily scheduled service direct to the reserve's own airstrip. There are departures from both Cape Town International Airport and Johannesburg's or Tambo International.
- Prices on request